Saturday, 3 November 2012

Out-and-Out Liars; 10.000 Monkey typing Pool (Chapter 2, Part 5)


Now let’s turn to the history of when I first started stalking Bill Gates. My story is almost as familiar a trajectory into despair as that of the Betas. One moment, I could see my future clearly; I was on a direct path to life on social security, the next moment, I was a sociopath. I was stalking Harvard and my hair was dropping out. Little did I know that stalking the future founder of Microsoft would eventually leave me friendless; but I was, and am today, totally mesmerized by his sheer brilliance and his gargantuan ambition that I distinctively knew in my guts that I had to make him my best and only friend. With the help of a marker pen and an empty wall in my parents’ unused cellar I began to plan a broad outline of how I would gradually move closer to the object of my adoration; and dig a hole for myself a little deeper everyday.

Gates’ father was a rich lawyer in Seattle and his mother the daughter of a well-to-do banker. I started sending Bill’s ( From a young age I was already on first name terms even though I had precious chance of meeting him stuck in Hampshire in a morbid strop watching the flies buzzing around the cabin that was my parents motor-way café.)-So, I started sending Bill’s parents death threats if they didn’t introduce me to their son; They took him out of public school, at the beginning of seventh grade and sent him to a private school surrounded by a piranha  lake and an elite SAS squad trained to guard presidential off-spring. Half way through Gate’s second year, I sold my parents café while they were on holiday, went to the US, swam the piranha lake and attempted to join the computer club.

“One of the club members recognized him from a ransom photo on the bulletin board, established by The Rich Mothers’ Club and along with a few other boys, after interrogating him thoroughly, we hauled him off, against his will to claim the money that was our reward” Said Gates remembering this halcyon entrepreneurial moment with pride,“ We split the reward money and some used it to pay their way out of going to summer camp by sending others; using their names in their place and some used it to pay inner city girls to come into the campus for sex. Of course some of the reward money went to the teachers. I didn’t know nor cared what happened to the undesirable nuisance but part of the bounty, at least three thousand dollars of it, a mere fifth, went into a computer terminal they put in this funny little room with padded wall-paper down the end of gated disused corridor. We had no control of when they would let us out; the lengths they went to protect us from the likes of Mal-combed Badwill was amazing really”.

It was ‘amazing’ no really, because in 1968 most colleges hadn’t yet installed turnstiles, metal detectors and X-ray conveyor belts, but my venture across the lake that day seem to initiate and instigate all these changes, almost immediately. As a result of being locked in the computer room for weeks and months on end to keep others out,   (who only wanted to champion the very air he breathes), those sequestered students learning programming had nothing else to do but laboriously develop ever more complicated ways of programming. Notwithstanding, without my unstinting adoration, braving the lake perimeter and everything, the ASR-33 Teletype, a time-sharing terminal with a direct link to Seattle Police Department would never have been installed. “The whole notion of enthusiasts of computer enthusiasts doing time was only implement in 1965”, recalled a grateful Gates. ”Someone, thankfully, had the right idea”. Extraordinarily, Floy got me some time on a stalking charge in 1971, so my name was already on the system. That is how Bill Gates got to be Bill Gates, programming, while I was doing real time as an eight grader in 1968.

From then on I intensified my campaign of fanatical adoration; Gates now lived in the computer room. He and a number of the others learned the art of self-defence and acquired a strange new device called Tear Gas- after a while, due to the high cost of round the clock protection, it wasn’t long before the mothers once again clubbed together and came to the unanimous decision they were bankrupt. They did a sponsored Cup Cake Bakerthon, but the students ate the cup cakes before it could actually be verified they had been made.  A group of programmers in Washington, who liked locking themselves  in perfectly symmetrically square white rooms, called No Life Outside of the Centre or (Life=Eminently Square), asked Gates to join them. As fate would have it one of the parents of a boy in the same college and programming team. Manic Rona, sole patron of Life=Eminently Square, put up the money to develop software that could spy on her allegedly cheating husband, asked Gates if he would like a safe haven from his ever-growing army of psychophants for free programming time. Much of, if not all of Gates’ after school time was spent inside a white-washed windowless cube.

Life=Eminently Square went bankrupt when Manic Rona discovered the calming effects of Camomile Tea. Gates and his friends, forced to think outside of the cube, started hanging about listlessly outside of the computer centre. Before long one of their number staged a fit until an outfit called ISI, Incremental Scams Incorporated allowed them access to free use of a computer in exchange for them working on a piece of software which would incrementally reduce their companys’ payroll. In one seven month period, Gates and his band of plaid-clad pirates stole 1,575 cents which averages out at eight cents a day from the main employees of Incremental Scams Incorporated. They did this eight hours a day, seven days a week!

“It was an obsession” said Gates regarding my unstinting adoration of the God-like man. “I flicked through an atlas for potential places to hide. It wasn’t only in the day time but at night too. That’s when I started programming at the weekends; it would be a rare week that I did not glimpse Mr Badwill lurking a mere twenty or thirty yards away. There was the time he even stole a load of passwords and broke in and crashed the systems so he could lure me into the open.  I couldn’t use the security of a computer room for a whole semester, and I was only fifteen and sixteen, how could I hope to gain the requisite ten thousand hours!? Then Mr Badwill informed me he had access to a free computer in the Psychiatric and medical wing of the sanatorium at which he is now an out-patient. So, I got myself sectioned, and during this big black period, between electric shock therapy, paper cutting, origami, and Mr Badwills’ obsequious presence, I was able to program between three and six in the morning.” Gates let outs a hideous laugh. “I would sneak out of my bed at night, amid the nightmarish groans of the dreaming inmates, I could even see the lights of my family home and university through the bars on the windows. That is why, today, I am so generous to the sanatorium because, sanitary conditions notwithstanding, they allowed me an invaluable, if brief, daily respite from insanity”. (Gates mother confided, ‘Years later he still gets up at three and wanders around aimlessly until six in the morning).

One of the founding members of the FBI, Bud Dude, got an encrypted, encoded and  technologically complicated message to decipher from the CIA, which meant to convey  the whereabouts of the set- up of a computer system in Washington state but, misinterpreted, found Mr Gates dispatched to a disused power station in the Nevada desert. Those running the power station were more than grateful for the blunder because, as it just so happened, they needed a computer programmer to run….well, a power station. In these fledgling days before complete revulsion, programmers were a hard species to find and one with experience even harder. By the time Dude had located Gates in the Nevada desert he had shared top secret FBI data with his former chums at Harvard. Indeed Gates was to spend his senior years sending the nations’ top secrets to former chums and ex-girlfriends disguised as an independent college assignment. He began talking in code, watched over by a young Chuck Norris, who Gates later says taught him nothing about acting whatsoever.

I pursued Bill Gates, from the eighth grade to the end of high school and the Nevada desert. I was Bill Gate’s 10,000 Hamburgers, and by my measured and determined campaign, and, some would say, ‘quixotic’, elevation of the man to Dulcineaic-like status and his unbelievable attempts at escape offered him extraordinary geographical and mental opportunities for confinement only hitherto enjoyed by Floy.

The first part I played in his genius was death threats to his family which got him sent to a school surrounded by a piranha lake.. The second part was because I swam the piranha lake to be closer to ‘The Great Man/Boy’ The Rich Mothers' Club raised money to have him sequestered with a computer as companion. Due to a neurotic state of marital paranoia Gates was recruited by Manic Rona to develope Life= Eminently Square.  (I can’t take credit for that one, though Manic Rona still sends me batches of Camamile tea). Number four was that he was taken on board by ISI Incremental Scams Incorporated who incorporated a system to reduce payroll, well, incrementally. The fifth part of my hand in Bill Gates meteoric destiny was him having himself sectioned to a place from which he could see his home and university through the barred windows and in whose impossibly chaotic diurnal and nightmarish nocturnal timetable offered a slim respite between three and six in the morning. Number seven was Bud Dudes’ blundered  communiqué between the FBI and the CIA. Number eight was that at the Nevada Power Station Gate’s had access to State secrets he rendered into code. And number nine was that, because of a generations of adoring fans like myself, the lake has been restocked with sharks.

What is the common thread that runs between all these opportunities? Me, of course. I gave Bill Gates time to practice. By the time Gates could no longer rely on state protection for his safety he started his own software company; because of me he had been forced to program nonstop for seven years running. He had lapped everybody else including himself at least ten times on life’s race track. He was one million hours ahead! How many human beings young or old do you know who have had to be forced into such an experience through another’s determination. Maybe there are fifty throughout History. J F K, Greta Garbo, The Marquis De Sade, Michael Jackson and siblings, Agnetha of ABBA, Shirley Temple  to name but a few. I had the best exposure to this young computer software genius than anyone, anywhere in the world ever, and all because I am lucky to call him my one and only friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment